Historic Jamestown, Virginia

Friday, August 12, 2016


Historic Jamestown was much more our speed than Jamestown Settlement.  This is the more historically accurate area of Jamestown.  Unfortunately, we didn't explore as much as I would have liked because I was exhausted.  All I wanted was to take a nap.

The first thing we did was walk over a little footbridge which lead from the visitors center into the main area.  We ended up taking our time and enjoying the wildlife.  At one point Josh very discretely called me over to where he was and pointed into the trees.  There was a momma and baby deer in there just hanging out!  It took a while before anyone else noticed and scared them off; it was so neat to watch them.

The first thing we came upon once we got over the footbridge was the Tercentennial Monument which was placed there in 1907 to celebrate 300 years since the settlement in Jamestown.   After that, we came upon one of the most famous monument in Historic Jamestown, the Pocahontas statue.  This statue was also made for the 300 year celebration but due to lack of funds, it wasn't finished until 1913.  There are also a few historical inaccuracies on the statue, such as her clothing.

One of my favorite parts of Historic Jamestown was the Memorial Church.    In 1893, the foundation for this church was there, but the actual church was no longer standing.  This was also built for the 300 anniversary celebration and includes glass panel flooring so you can see the original church's foundation.   This church is connected to the 17th century tower, which is the last surviving original structure from when Jamestown was the capitol of Virginia (2nd church photo below).   Josh really loved the graveyard located right outside of the church.   I also really loved seeing the 1608 Church (obviously built in 1608).   This was the site of John Rolfe and Pocahontas's wedding.  Archeologist know that this is where the church was due to the spacing of several structural posts which match the description recorded by William Strachey.

After exploring this main area, we made our way to the archaearium, which is an archeology museum of all things Jamestown.  I didn't take any photos in here but it was really neat.  At this point I was starting to get really tired, so I didn't see as much as I wanted - I was just looking for benches to sit on.  Once we made our way out of the archaearium, we slowly started to make our way over to New Towne.  There are a lot of buildings outlined with signs letting you know what once stood in each specific area.  I really loved the Amber House (last photo), which was a plantation house that stood in the middle of the town.

I really loved exploring Historic Jamestown and would love to go back when I'm not dead on my feet.  I would highly recommend a visit to anyone who loves history.

























No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design