Book Reviews: May 2016

Thursday, June 9, 2016


In April, I read exactly zero books.  I just wasn't in the mood for whatever reason.  I ended up getting way behind on my GoodReads challenge and on my other challenges.  However, I definitely made up for some of it in May.  May 7th hit and I became a reading machine!  I read a lot of great books this month that I am so excited to share about!

 Linking up with Steph and Jana.


 I find books like this, with slight psychological aspects, to be really interesting.  I love that it's hard for the reader to hate the kidnapper even though you know exactly what she's doing.  You see all the emotions she feels and also how she justifies the kidnapping as the years go on.  I really think this book gives a great look at how everyone is impacted by the kidnapping of an infant.  It's told from the perspective of the child (once she's older), the biological mother, and the kidnapper.   I was most interested in learning how Mia would react once she found out (it's obvious that she would).  Her initial reaction is what I expected but as she gets to know her biological family, and some other things that I can't say without spoiling, her reaction is really interesting.  Overall, I thought this was a really great and interesting read!  I'd recommend it to anyone - and I'd definitely love to hear from parents that I have read this, as I expect their reactions to be different from mine.
I gave this book a 4/5 on my GoodReads.


While this was not my favorite of her books, I did enjoy First Frost.  Garden Spells, the first of the Waverly family books, is one of my favorites, and definitely my favorite by this author, so I was really excited to read this book! I was a little disappointed by Sydney and Claire's parts of the story, I felt like their parts had a lot of potential but didn't really live up.  However, I absolutely loved Bay's part of the story!  Bay is such a great character that really embraces her true self while going through typical teenage stuff.  While I don't think this is her best book, I do think it's worth reading for anyone who loved Garden Spells as much as I did.
I gave this book a 3/5 on my GoodReads.


This was a very hard book for me to rate.  I really did like it and I had a hard time putting it down, the author really pulls you into the story.  I also really like hearing Summer's boyfriends side of the story, I thought it really added to the book overall.  However, there were some massive holes in the plot and some things that just didn't make sense to me - I can't really go into them too much without ruining the book.  The characters were also a bit flat and the author didn't really give an adequate description of them.  I also felt like we weren't give enough about the kidnappers past - that was very flat, too.   Because of that, he didn't seem as dark and scary to me as he could have.  Like I said, the book is certainly entertaining, but it could have been a lot better.  I'd still recommend this book to people who like books like this (kidnapping, mystery).
I gave this book a 3/5 on my GoodReads.


I really love the whole concept of the Twisted Tales!  The author takes Disney stories, in this case, Aladdin, and twists them around.  In this book, Jafar is the one to get the lamp first.  Although I didn't think the writing was all that great (it was pretty juvenile), I still enjoyed the book but not as much as I wanted to.  The first part is basically exactly like the movie and the middle part is really slow.  I did like the ending, though.  I think the idea has a lot of potential but it wasn't executed as well as I hoped.  That being said, it was a very quick read and if you don't pull it apart too much, it's enjoyable.  I will be giving her next book, Once Upon a Dream a try.
I gave this book a 3/5 on my GoodReads.


I picked this book up simply because it fit into a category of the Popsugar Reading Challenge I'm doing.  I'm happy to say, I liked it a lot more than I thought I would.  I love the travel involved and how she finds out about single women around the world.  I also love how you can see each character growing throughout the story and you see their friendship evolve.  I read somewhere that this book is like Sex and the City meets Eat Pray Love and I think that's fairly accurate.  I really liked the humor and sarcasm and I also like that it doesn't have a neat tidy happily ever after ending.
 I gave this book a 4/5 on my GoodReads.


I really enjoyed this book.  I loved Finch and Violet's wanderings, I love that the romance was slower, and I really loved the fact that some of the places in the book are real!  This book really touches on mental illness and the stigma surrounding it.  It is very clear from the beginning that Finch suffers from  Bipolar disorder and it was really disconcerting to me that his parents seemed to ignore this. Unfortunately, that is a common occurrence which just blows my mind.  This book was well written, complex, and emotional and I highly recommend it.  Just be sure to have a box of tissues nearby.
I gave this book a 4/5 on my GoodReads.


I really enjoyed this book. It has some teenage angst without being too heavy, and it had a good message.  I really loved the characters, and I didn't mind the love triangle (I generally don't like love triangles).  I really like that you can clearly see the main character growing and developing as a person, and I love the quirkiness of the supporting characters.  Overall, a really great and quick read! 
I gave this book a 4/5 on my GoodReads.


This book was a little hard for me to get through.  I think what made this book so hard for me was that I didn't really relate to any of the characters and they just felt so flat to me.  I also really didn't feel much as far as their friendship, it almost seemed forced.  I also had a really hard time getting into the plot, and though there were some aspects that I enjoyed, overall it was a dud for me.  Just not my cup of tea and not something that I'd recommend. 
I gave this book a 2/5 on my GoodReads.


I'm pretty sure that I texted my sister "fuck everything" after I finished this book.  I pretty much guessed everything that was going to happen, but you just have so much hope that you'll be wrong.  Ugh, it just tore my heart out.  I can't believe I put off reading this book because I loved every second of it.  The story was fantastic, I loved all of the characters, and I loved the emotion.  So fantastic - I almost don't want to see the movie because I don't want the movie to ruin the book.  I have no words. Just read it.
I gave this book a 5/5 on my GoodReads.


I read Everything, Everything in about 4 hours while at work - needless to say, I really loved this book.  Another blogger (I can't remember who, now) wrote a review about it so I put it on my to-reads list.  I happened to see it at the library last week and just picked it up.  Honestly, I've never read a book quite like this one, and I loved that.  I really loved the characters in this book, especially her nurse.  I also loved that I never could have predicted what was going to happen.  In hindsight, I probably should have put things together, but I didn't and that made the book so much better because I usually predict how books will turn out.  The story is overall emotional, heartbreaking, and beautiful.  Then ending was perfect.  I highly recommend this book.
I gave this book a 4/5 on my GoodReads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design