Book Reviews: December 2016

Friday, January 6, 2017


Leave it to Alyson Richman to get me out of my reading funk!  I only finished two books in December but they were just what I needed to get out of my reading funk. 


Alyson Richman is one of my favorite authors.  I've loved every single book I've read by her and this one is no different.  I always feel like I learn so much from her books - before this book I knew nothing about the brutality in Chile in the 70's or the Finnish war children.  What I love about her books is how emotionally invested I get; there were a few times when I had to put the book down.   This book entangled the beauty of life and love with the brutality of life at wartime.  There is no sugar coating but that it why I got so invested in this book.   Though Salome's story is the most central and I definitely felt for her and was devastated for her, I think Kaja's story that really got to me.  This book, like her others does start out a bit slow, but push through, I promise it's worth it!  I highly recommend this book, especially to lovers of travel and historical fiction! 

I gave this book a 5/5 on my GoodReads.


I requested this book on Netgalley a while back but was denied because I didn't have enough reviews at that point.  When I saw the book on Amazon for $1.99 right after Christmas, I decided to get it.  I've always loved figure skating so I wanted to see what this was all about.  I found the story to be cute, but sometimes a little annoying.  I was really annoyed at the main character for her lack of communication throughout most of the book.  Except for that one issue, I really enjoyed the story and the skating references.   Overall, it was a cute, light read that I'd recommend if that's what you're in the mood for.  It was nothing spectacular but it was enjoyable.

I gave this book a 3/5 on my GoodReads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design