Book Reviews: September 2015

Friday, January 29, 2016


September was a winning month for me as far as reading is concerned.  I read a lot of fabulous books and some of them have become favorites.


Seeing as how this was written by the author of The Book Thief, I had extremely high hopes for this book.  It wasn't as good as The Book Thief, but it was still a really good book.   I really enjoyed the mystery to this book, who is sending Ed these messages?  I also liked that throughout the book, your view on the main character is going to change.  You'll find yourself wanting to yell at him and then find yourself wanting to hug him.  The message of this book is also very clear and very beautiful.  I highly recommend this book to anyone.  Even if you didn't like The Book Thief, the books are so different; this one is definitely worth reading.
I gave this book a 4/5 on my GoodReads


To be honest, I was a bit hesitant about reading this book.  I loved the Selection series and really wasn't sure how I felt about another book being published - I liked it just how it was.   I must say, I was pleasantly surprised by this book and I didn't feel like it took anything away from the previous three books.  I actually really really enjoyed this new perspective and even though she can be a bit whiny, I really like Eadlyn's character.  I am pretty sure that boy wise, I can tell what's going to happen but I'm really interested to see if I'm right and I'm really looking forward to reading the next book.   I really want to say more about it but I really can't without giving too much away, but if you liked the Selection series, then I definitely recommend you read this book. 
I gave this book a 5/5 on my GoodReads


I talked about books in this format with Boy Next Door.  I liked this one better.  It was a cute story and I think it left a little less to the imagination than Boy Next Door, which was good. The story was cute, it dealt with some heavy issues and I think it was done well, and I really liked the main characters as well as the secondary characters.  Not my favorite Rainbow Rowell book, but definitely worth reading if you're a fan of hers.
I gave this book a 3/5 on my GoodReads


I absolutely loved this book!  World War 2 era historical fiction books are my favorite and this one just moved to the top of the list.  I was excited to read this because the other historical fiction book that she wrote, Winter Garden, is one of my all time favorites.  Kristin Hannah did not disappoint!  This is the first book I read about the French resistance and I really liked learning about it.  We focus so much on Germany during World War 2, we often overlook other countries.  I had no idea how much the people of France suffered during this time.  I found myself completely invested in each of the characters and had a hard time putting this book down.  Definitely keep a box of tissues nearby towards the end!
I gave this book a 5/5 on my GoodReads



Not my favorite Sarah Addison Allen book but still a decent read.  I really loved Devin, she is exactly how a kid should be - silly and imaginative.  I also really enjoyed reading both Lisette and Wes's backstories, especially Lisette's.   The overall plot of the book was cute enough and of course I always love that there is a little bit of subtle magic in all of her books, and this one was no different. It was cute and entertaining but not her best book.
I gave this book a 3/5 on my GoodReads.


This wasn't the best series I've ever read but it was entertaining enough. I thought the first book was really good and that the whole series had a lot of potential but it didn't live up to what I thought it would be.  So in short, the first book was great and I couldn't put it down - I love the premise of the book and I really liked Lena.   The second book was still good but not as good as the first one; I feel like the last half of the book was better and their was a good cliffhanger.  The third was eh.  I feel like there was so much potential but instead it just seemed rushed and lazy with a lot of lose ends.  Again, I seem to be in the minority with not liking the end of the series.  I still recommend these books to anyone who likes YA dystopian.
I gave the first book a 4/5 and the second and third a 3/5 on GoodReads.


Alyson Richman's books always get me right in the feels!  I loved The Lost Wife, so my hopes were high for this book.  Though I still like The Lost Wife more, this book was definitely fantastic and did live up to my expectations.  As I said before, I really love WW2 historical fiction and this book gives a glimpse of yet another country during this time, Italy.  I don't know what to say except that this was a beautiful story; Angelo and Elodie's stories intertwine beautifully.  I loved it and didn't want it to end.  The characters were amazing and the story line was, too! 
I gave this book a 4/5 on my GoodReads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design