Book Reviews: October 2015

Tuesday, January 26, 2016


I don't remember why I only read 4 books in October.  It must have been one of those months where I just couldn't find something to read.  Who knows?  Here are the four that I managed to finish:


You can definitely tell that this book is aimed towards the younger end of "young adults".  With that being said, I still enjoyed reading this.  I will say that the plot twist was predictable, the story was a bit fluffy and cliche, and I really think Noah's age should have been closer to Penny's - he seemed way younger than 18But if you take the book for what it is, the story is enjoyable and it's an easy read.   I would only recommend this to those looking for something light and fluffy and who don't mind reading stories about high school aged kids. Otherwise, this book is probably not for you. 
I gave this book a 3/5 on my GoodReads


I have never not liked Miranda Kenneally's books.  They're definitely aimed more towards high school aged girls, but I always enjoy them.  I like that all of the characters, including the ones in this book, have been very likable and easy to relate to.  I also love that there is no unnecessary fluff or boring parts to the book.  And for a book being aimed at high-schoolers, the writing is very good.  So, if you are looking for a light, easy, and enjoyable read, I would definitely recommend this book.  Actually I would recommend you start with her first book and work to this one.  Although you don't need to read them in order, some of the characters show up in each others books (Maya's Brother is a main character in Catching Jordan). 
I gave this book a 4/5 on my GoodReads.



I must have really wanted to flash back to high school in October because this is yet another book aimed towards late high school/early college aged girls.  This book was just OK.  I feel like the main character actually got worse as the book went along.  She had this rage against her family and her best friend that I thought was a bit unfounded.  Character wise, I wasn't a big fan of this book.  I did relate to the fact them Emily felt a bit trapped in her hometown and wanted to get out and explore ... even if Philadelphia wasn't that far.  I was like that at her age too, I wanted nothing more than to leave.  Overall, I was a bit disappointed in this book since I loved her book "The List".
I gave this book a 3/5 on my GoodReads.



I managed to read one adult book this month, I found this book on the bargain shelf at B&N. I had a really mediocre reading month because this book was also just OK.  This was an easy read and there was nothing particularly wrong with it, I just didn't find it all that compelling, and I'd figured out the little twist pretty much right away.   What I did like is that the characters all felt very real, and their problems were very real problems.  I think this would be a decent beach read, but not something I'd go out of my way to recommend.
 I gave this book a 3/5 on my GoodReads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design