Military Minute #1

Thursday, June 27, 2019


I'm so excited to be participating in this new link-up today!!

Today's prompt is Where was your first duty station, and what are your best tips for adjusting to a new place. 


Our first (and only, so far) duty station is Fort Drum, New York.  We've been here since 2016 and there is a good chance we'll spend my husbands entire enlistment here, much to our dismay.  Honestly, this would be the perfect place if it wasn't winter 9 months out of the year.  The summer months are gorgeous, there are so many outdoor activities to do, and Canada is so close!  But the constant cold and snow has kind of ruined it for us.


I only have two tips for adjusting to a new place.  One, get out and explore.  Even though the winters here suck, we've managed to do a good bit of exploring in the summers.  We've been to Alexandria Bay/Thousand Islands, Canada, and Syracuse.  This summer we're making a point of doing a new hike each week since there are so many great trails around here (the Adirondacks are really close).  We'll also be going to Niagara Falls and Toronto in August. 


My second tip is to either get a job or find somewhere to volunteer.   I am not a social person.  If I didn't have a job I'd probably only leave my house to go to the gym and walk the dogs.  I met all of my friends through work.  It also gives me something to do while my husband is gone, other than dwell on the fact that he isn't here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design