Book Reviews: May

Tuesday, June 11, 2019


I finished up school in May and am excited to start reading more over the summer! These are the few I was able to finish while finishing up school.


I wanted to like this book way more than I actually did.  The cover is amazing and I loved The Book Jumper which was written by the same author.   I felt like this story had a lot of potential, but the effort was just put in to some odd places.  Most of the "action" happens in the last 30ish pages of the book and happens way too fast.  I feel like if some of the silly details from the beginning were left out or shortened, more meat could have been added to the more exciting parts.  This is not to say I didn't enjoy the book, I did, I just feel like it could have been amazing and it didn't live up.  I will say that despite her young age, I found Emma to be pretty likeable.
(3/5)


I just adore this book!  I read it for the first time in middle school and loved it so much.   I decided to read more of the books in the series, so obviously I had to re-read this one.  It's such a delightful, and sometimes heartbreaking, book.  Anne is such an easy character to love and I can't wait to read more about her adventures!
5/5


I listened to Hidden Figures on Audiobook.  I wanted to like this book more than I did.  I thought is was going to be more about the ladies, their contributions, and what it was like to be a woman, black, and a black woman during the space race.  The book didn't even get to the space part until chapter 20ish.  It was bogged down with history of NACA/NASA, and a lot of technical jargon which I totally didn't understand.  While some of the history was important, a lot of it felt irrelevant.  I did really enjoy hearing about the history of the women involved, how their roles at NACA/NASA evolved over the years, and how NASA played a role in workplace integration.  I wouldn't say don't read this, but be prepared for a lot of history and technical terms. 
(3/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design