Book Reviews: June

Tuesday, July 9, 2019


I've become a little bit obsessed with audio-books lately!  I don't think I'll ever listen to novels (Daisy Jones was an exception), but I love listening to non-fiction!  I've been wanting to read more non-fiction but I have to be really into the subject matter in order to get through the book - audio makes them a way easier to get through.  June was a great reading month for me, in part because of audio-books!


 I listened to this on audiobook.  I think having Lauren Graham read it was a great decision!  
 This is one of those books that only specific people will like.  If you didn't watch Parenthood or Gilmore Girls, this book probably isn't for you.   Gilmore Girls is my favorite show.  I re-watch it usually once a year-ish and could probably quote the entire show from start to finish.  I really enjoyed hearing Lauren's favorite things about each season, but I do wish there was more "behind the scenes" stories.  I loved hearing about why Gilmore Girls ended the way it did, and about how the Gilmore Girls reunion came to be. Very enjoyable book and perfect for a boring drive!
4/5


Anne continues to be a easy character to love and to cheer for.  While some of the childish whimsy is lost as Anne starts maturing and taking on new roles at Green Gables and in her community, this series is still delightful and I can't wait to read the next book and follow Anne to college.
(4/5)

 
 I listened to this on Audiobook - the narrator was fantastic!
I found this book fascinating and I didn't want it to end!  I knew next to nothing about firefighting and even less about wildland firefighting before I started this book.  Ramos gives a small history lesson on both firefighting and smokejumping which was fascinating in itself.  I even learned something new about WW2 that I had no clue about (you'll have to read to find out).  He then went through how he became a smokejumper and what jumper training is like - I learned about Helitack crews and Hotshot crews in this section.  Throughout the book I learned about the tools used in firefighting, how political BS caused fires to become worse than they should have been, how climate change is affecting fires and firefighting, and about the "science" of fire.  He also talked about some of the deadliest/most destructive fires in US history and what went wrong.  Some people don't like his opinions and critiques which are found throughout the book, but honestly, he's the one I'd want to hear from when getting an opinion on things regarding wildland firefighting, so I didn't mind.  Highly recommend!
(5/5)


Another re-read for me this year.  I want to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy and wanted to re-read the hobbit since it's been so long (I read it in 7th grade).  I basically forgot what happened and really enjoyed traveling along with Bilbo Baggins again.
(5/5)


I tried not to get my hopes up too high for this one because I loved Dumplin' so much - I just didn't want to be disappointed.  Lucky for me Puddin' was great!  I think I may have liked it a little bit more than Dumplin'.  I really loved the friendships in this book (Julie Murphy seems to focus a lot on friendships, which I love), and I loved seeing Millie grow into someone who can stand up for herself a bit.  Very enjoyable and solid YA read.
(4/5)


I am usually weary of Witch books because they're usually hit or miss - this one was very unique and I really enjoyed it!  The concept of world walking and fire walking was really neat and unlike anything I've read before.  I really loved all of the characters - even the supporting characters were well done.  My only issue was that I don't think enough was revealed about Lillian to make her a "scary" villain.  There are two more books, though so I'm hoping to learn more about her.   Highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys fantasy or witches.
(4/5)


Interesting look into Appalachian culture, the poor white working class, and the hardships that come with upward mobility.  Some of his opinions may be controversial but they are a direct result of his upbringing, his tumultuous childhood, and his struggles with upward mobility.  I learned a lot about this history of Appalachia and the rust belt and how that history affects the people who live in those areas today.  I didn't really like JD Vance as a narrator for the audio-book, but was interested enough in his story that I was able to get past it.
(4/5)


I needed something quick to pass the time while I wait for BCBE to start on July 1 - this was perfect. Cute, quick, enjoyable, and easy read. I'll actually probably end up reading the rest of the books when I need something quick to read.  
(3/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design