Book Reviews: March

Tuesday, April 10, 2018


I'm so close to finishing Erin's challenge, I can taste it!  Right now I'm at the mercy of the library.  My last books are on hold and there are a lot of people ahead of me.  I think I may have to change one of my books again :(


This was my second try with this book.  The first time I just wasn't in the mood for it, so I figured I'd try again for Erin's Challenge.  I still had a  hard time getting through the first half of the book, but once I hit the second half and things started coming together, I couldn't put this book down!  It is such a great story about friendship and the horrors of war.  I can't recommend this book highly enough, especially for fans of WW2 Historical Fiction.  Just be ready with a box of tissues!  ... 4/5 stars
Read for Book Challenge By Erin


I totally jumped on the bandwagon with this one and I'm so glad I did!  Eleanor herself was a bit of a difficult person - her social awkwardness kind of reminds me of Dr. Brennan in Bones.  But as difficult as she is, you can't help but grow to love her and understand her. I really loved Raymond and Sammy, too - they are great characters and great for Eleanor.  I also give the author credit, it takes a lot for me to not get a "twist" and this one I got it half right and half wrong.  I'd recommend this to people who loved A Man Called Ove or The Storied Life of AJ Fickry.  It's that perfect balance of happiness, sadness, and general life stuff ... 4/5 stars.


I don't know what it is about them, but I generally love books written in the form of letters! I enjoyed this one but it wasn't the best that I've read.  The first 10% ish of the book was good, then it got a bit boring and repetitive until the last 40 pages - then I couldn't put it down.  I loved that it was written in letters, the World War 1 setting, and the characters Tom and Alice.  I also loved the little snippets of "present day" which was actually 1968.  I didn't like the repetitiveness, the journalist self-righteous attitude of Evie's, and her overly aggressive feminism.  I also felt like some of the events were talked about as we would talk about them today, not as someone living through them.  Overall, I was a bit let down by this one, but I did still enjoy it (totally conflicted on this one, obviously) ... 3.5/5 stars
Read for Erin's Challenge  


I don't understand how Fredrik Backman can make even a 90 page novella super good.  Obviously read this in one sitting and loved it.  I hear his other novella is better and I can't wait to read it ... 4/5


I have mixed feelings about this one.  This is another book written in letters, but I really didn't like the way it was done.  It was like she just wrote it in "letter" format because how else would they communicate, but otherwise it was written like any other book.  I mean, I don't typically write out dialogue in my letters.  I enjoyed the characters and really liked the idea behind the book - two people who could never meet because of health issues.  However, it got a bit too sci-fi-ish at the end and it really took away from the book for me.  I don't mind sci-fi, but this book went from contemporary to sci-fi with no warning.   Enjoyment wise, this book was probably a 4 up until the end.  But I just had so many other issues with it that I have to give it a 3 ... 3/5 
Read for Erin's Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design