We're Moving To ...

Friday, May 13, 2016

I'm not going to lie, I've had this title and a completely different introduction for this post in my drafts for months.   Getting to move somewhere new was the thing I was most excited for when Josh joined the Army - now, I'm a bit apprehensive.

Once Josh picked his job way back when, we were able to get a list of the bases that he could be stationed at (the list had about 17 or so bases).  There were only two on that list that we absolutely did not want, the rest looked great.  I didn't want Fort Bliss just because I really have no desire to live that close to the Mexican border, especially with Trump possibly becoming president - I just see a lot of potential issues there.  However, the one at the top of our "do not want" list was Fort Drum.  It is in upstate NY so it's super cold and snows all the time and after these last two winters in MD, that is the last thing I want.  Also, there is literally nothing around except Canada, even then most of the places we want to see are hours away.  Also, I read that Drum has a super high deployment rate.  

So, where are we moving? ... Yupp, you guessed it, the number one on our "we don't want to live here" list ...


To say we are disappointed is an understatement.  I'm not going to lie, I cried when I got off the phone with Josh.  I gave myself some time to wallow and feel sorry for myself, and now we are trying to be positive and make the best out of it.  We don't know how long this assignment is, but I'm hoping it's only two years.

I've done a lot of research and honestly, if it wasn't for the shit weather, this would be a great place for outdoor lovers like Josh and I.  We're actually looking forward to the summer months there.  We're also looking forward to exploring some of French Canada.  Niagara Falls is high on Josh's list so I am excited to take him there and revisit it as an adult.  Like I said, we're going to make the best of this so I have started a Pinterest board and started looking up things to do in the area.  Seems like we're definitely going to be improving our skiing/snowboarding skills.   Of course, there is also the advantage of only being 6.5 hours away from home, so I can go home for important events (such as the annual family Christmas dinner and my 10 year reunion).

So, Army wives, if you've ever been stationed at Fort Drum feel free to try to make me feel better about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design