Book Reviews: March 2015

Monday, March 14, 2016


I was a reading machine in March!  This month I didn't read anything spectacular but I didn't read anything horrible either.  I found most of these books to be enjoyable.


As much as everyone else seems to love this book, I had a hard time with it.  The writing was simplistic so it didn't take me too long to get through, but damn it was repetitive.  It's basically done groundhog day style, which I've never been a fan of and I was honestly just waiting for it to end so I could find out what happened. I also really didn't like the main character and her friends.  The only reason this got 3 stars instead of 2 is because I did like the ending and I did like the fact that the character was trying to better herself once she realized what was happening. 
I gave this book a 3/5 on GoodReads.


This is another one that everyone seems to love but I thought was "meh".   I wasn't all that big of a fan of Mia, I thought the romance was lazy, and overall I found it to be a bit slow.  I did keep reading and I did finish it because I was interested to find out if she choose to live and why.  However, had I known there was a sequel the answer to that would have been pretty clear. To me this book was just OK.  I seem to be the minority in this.  I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it but I also wouldn't say don't read it.
I gave this book a 3/5 on my GoodReads.


While this wasn't my favorite book by Sarah Addison Allen, I really did enjoy this one.  This book was definitely more on the light and sunny side which I enjoyed and there are a bunch of little life lessons packed into this book.  I loved all of the quirky characters in the small town and as always with Addison's books, I loved the little bit of magic.  Also, don't read this book while your hungry!  Julies baking sounds incredible and will make you want to eat all of the sweets!  If you are a SAA fan, I would definitely recommend this book.  I'd also recommend it for anyone looking for something light, charming and uplifting.
I gave this book a 4/5 on my GoodReads.


I saw this book at the library and grabbed it on a whim.  This books is nothing mind blowing but it was cute and enjoyable.  If you're a dog lover you'll probably enjoy this book at least a little bit.  It's lighthearted, cute and a pretty stereotypical teen romance - if you're a dog lover you will probably enjoy this book at least a little bit.  Like I said, it's enjoyable but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it. 
I gave this book a 3/5 on my GoodReads.


Meh.  This book started out really slow and got a little bit better towards the end.  Usually even months later I can remember how I felt about a book but with this one I had to go to GoodReads and read some reviews to remember what happened, so it's definitely not very memorable.   I'm not much on women's fiction and this book fits solidly into that category. I don't even think I liked any of the characters all that much, so it was just a dud for me.  It just wasn't my cup of tea. 
I gave this book a 3/5 on my GoodReads.


I really enjoyed this book!  I really liked all of the characters and I really liked seeing how Jackie reacted to going from a small family to a huge family.  I really liked that the writing was strong, and the storyline was very realistic and easy to get into.  I think that even if you're not really into YA, you would probably enjoy this book.  I hear there is a sequel coming out and I will definitely be reading it.  Though, I didn't feel like there was really a cliffhanger ending, so reading this one on it's own would be OK too.
I gave this book a 4/5 on my GoodReads.


I enjoyed this book and it kept me interested.  Fans of Sarah Dessen seem to have a different opinion though.  I really liked the characters, especially McLean and I liked that she was trying to figure out who she was after moving so many times.  I also liked that the whole plot was very realistic, I think most Sarah Dessen books are like that.  This definitely wasn't my favorite book in the world but I really enjoyed it.
I gave this book a 4/5 on my GoodReads.


People who liked The Fault in Our Stars will probably like this book.  I think this book is a more realistic look at the end of a young persons life than TFIOS.  The character experiences so many different emotions throughout the book and her parents do, too.  Her Dad is trying to balance normalcy and cherishing the time he has with his daughter.  I think this is definitely a book worth reading, but keep the tissues nearby.
I gave this book a 3/5 on my GoodReads


I really, really like this author.  She writes such good contemporary YA novels.  I think she really captures the voices of her characters which makes them seem more real.  I really love that the things the character was dealing with were very real and that the romance was slow and realistic.  Character development is something I really look for in books and this book had it and this author does it really well.  I would definitely recommend this book to anyone - it's definitely YA but I think anyone could enjoy this.
I gave this book a 4/5 on my GoodReads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design