Book Reviews: October

Tuesday, November 12, 2019


Meh ... I've been struggling with reading the last few months.


I'm sad to say that I really just didn't enjoy this one.  It was a slow build and the ending was just disappointing.  Also, I didn't like either of the main characters.  Overall, just a dud.

2/5

 
Although it wasn't exactly what I thought it was going to be, I still really enjoyed this memoir.  It did feel more like a family history than a memoir, but I enjoyed learning about the women in her family and what they did to survive.   I did expect a little bit more social commentary, but it was so lacking that I was disappointed.  Definitely an interesting read.  I also feel like the author did a great job narrating the audiobook.
4/5


The only reason I decided to read this book is because I LOVED A Curse So Dark and Lonely, so I was interested to see if her contemporary YA would be as good as her fairy tale retelling.  It wasn't AS good, but it was definitely enjoyable.  The characters were very realistic and I like that everything wasn't tied up in a pretty bow at the end, but the ending was satisfying.  I really enjoy character driven novels and she did a great job of developing the characters.  Fast paced and very enjoyable overall.  
(4/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design