Book Reviews: April

Tuesday, May 14, 2019


April looked like it was going to be a great reading month, and then school happened.  The two books I read were great though and I flew through them!  My last day at school was Thursday, so hopefully May will be better!


I've read a lot of reviews by people saying they liked On the Come Up better than THUG.  I am not one of those people.  I enjoyed On the Come Up and I think it also had an important message, but one thing set THUG apart from this book, the characters.  I honestly did not like Bri until the very end of the book.  I get the whole "I'm a teenager and I know everything and Imma do what I want" attitude, we've all been there, but Bri took it a little too far.  Luckily Angie Thomas is a fantastic writer and storyteller, so I was able to look past Bri's character and really enjoy the overall plot of the book.  If you loved THUG, definitely give On the Come Up a chance!  Bri isn't as likeable as Starr but the book itself is very well done.
(4/5)


This is probably one of my favorite fairy tale retellings ever.  I was hooked right from the start and I couldn't put it down.  I honestly loved everything about this book - the characters (GREY!), the world, the events that took place.  I feel like Kemmerer described Emberfall with the perfect amount of detail - she didn't go into so much detail that it got boring, but just enough that I had an idea of what it looked like but the rest of it was filled in by my imagination.  I also like that it was loosely based on Beauty and the Beast, but it didn't feel unoriginal.  The general idea was there but the story as a whole didn't feel like a rip off.  After reading this, I found out that my favorite character, Grey, is the main focus of the next book and I am so excited to for it to come out!  Definitely read this if you like retellings or Fantasy!
(4.5/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design