Book Reviews: March

Tuesday, April 9, 2019


I had a decent reading month in March.  I enjoyed all of the books I read and tried an audiobook for the first time.


This was a cute story.  I understand why it's been so popular over the last few years.   It was a super easy read (I read it in a few hours), and super predictable, but still very enjoyable.  Some of the high school angst was a bit annoying, but it didn't take away from the overall story too much.  This book also realllly made me want to jump on a plane to Paris ... right now.
(4/5)


This was such a hard book to read.  Knowing that these events took place and that some of the Nazi doctors mentioned towards the end actually existed made me a bit sick to my stomach.  I had to take a break usually every 10 pages or so once Rose got to Ravensbruck.  This was such a powerful story about hope, friendship, and sacrifice while trying to survive in a reality that seems hopeless.  I feel like the journal style narration worked really well for this story because it allowed Rose to reflect on what happened to her.  I don't think the story would have been as powerful any other way.  I highly recommend this book and Code Name Verity to anyone.
(4/5)


I'd never even heard of this series until I went to buy Six of Crows and found out it was a spin-off from this series.  Overall, I really enjoyed it.  I really like the Grisha world and think the author did a great job developing it (some things could have been better, but there are still two more books).  I also like how the story just jumps right off, I was invested right away.  My only hang-up, and the only reason this doesn't get 5 stars from me, is that Alina got really whiney and annoying!  I was hoping she'd be on par with Celaena Sardothien (and sometimes she was), but I was mainly getting Bella Swan vibes which almost made me not want to read the rest of the series.  I've heard good things though so I hope Alina gets better.
(4/5)


This was my first experience with an Audio book.  I could not have picked a better book!  It was written in interview style, so I felt like I was listening to an episode of "Behind the Music" or something.   I honestly don't think I would have liked it as much if I couldn't hear all of their voices.  I could hear all the emotions which I don't think would have translated as well in print.  This oral history of a 70's rock band and their rise and fall kept me on the edge of my seat.  Daisy was a force of nature and I LOVED Karen, she was my favorite band member.  This book definitely deals with some tough topics such as addiction and abortion, but I think it was very well done.  I almost gave the book 4 stars because the bands fall was way less dramatic than I was hoping for, but the rest of it was so good I almost don't care.  I was a little afraid to "read" this because Evelyn Hugo was so fantastic, but it just proved that TJR is a master storyteller!  ... also I'm a bit bitter that this band is fictional and I couldn't listen to all of the songs :'(
(5/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hayley Larue Design